TWO WAGONS - BOTH COVERED (1924) Will Rogers, Marie Mosquini

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Ed Watz
Associate

TWO WAGONS - BOTH COVERED (1924) Will Rogers, Marie Mosquini

Postby Ed Watz » Wed May 06, 2020 7:54 am

Director Rob Wagner and "cowboy philosopher" Will Rogers made this takeoff of James Cruze's Western epic THE COVERED WAGON for Hal Roach release. Like Charlie Chaplin's CARMEN, TWO WAGONS - BOTH COVERED closely spoofs the actors and events of the feature film it mocks.

Will Rogers essays a dual role: the cantankerous prairie scout portrayed by Ernest Torrence and his more -- er, "refined" counterpart, played by J. Warren Kerrigan.

I first saw TWO WAGONS in a beautiful Kodascope print, following a screening of THE COVERED WAGON, where it was a hit with the audience. But watching it without benefit of the feature (and in a scratched, tram-lined dupe), you might get bored. So be forewarned! Advice from a contemporary exhibitor report says it all:

Two Wagons — Both Covered (Pathe) — most clever parody on “The Covered Wagon’’ if you’ve seen the latter. If you haven’t you wonder why it’s called a comedy. (Exhibitor's Herald, 1924)

https://youtu.be/X0Ag23cSHOU
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Lorenzo Tremarelli

Re: TWO WAGONS - BOTH COVERED (1924) Will Rogers, Marie Mosquini

Postby Lorenzo Tremarelli » Wed May 06, 2020 12:38 pm

Great post, Ed. I think it might be a good idea, since the feature-length picture was posted on YouTube some time ago, even in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvHPrpomXmw&t=60s

Besides, this milestone was parioded twice at that studio. I also remember THE UNCOVERED WAGON released six months before, featuring Paul Parrott, Katherine Grant, Noah Young, George Rowe and other usual Roach stock players.
"The more trouble you get a man into, the more comedy you get out of him" (Harold Lloyd)