Dull Care (reconstructed)

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
David Pickard

Dull Care (reconstructed)

Postby David Pickard » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:46 pm

Just watched the reconstruction of 'Dull Care' that Dave Glass put together. Looks very good. I've seen a number of different versions of this film but I must admit that I didn't know the Cineteca version was missing so much footage - is Dave's version complete?

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Dull Care (reconstructed)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Here's Dave's reconstruction BTW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxyaNVBjT4Q

Is it complete? Probably not, who knows or who cares? One begins to escape the OCD madness of film buffery by letting go of phrases like "complete" and "definitive". No two prints of a silent films were alike, even when they were first printed, and there were domestic and foreign negatives assembled from different takes, and sometimes had different scenes. Any prints that have come down to us now are subject to wear and tear, censorship, decomposition, lord knows what.

First be happy when you see any footage from something from this era, then be happy when you see another print with more footage that you saw before, and if there's more or different material to see in future prints, all the better, it makes each further viewing a new and unique experience.

Pointless to drive one's self nuts being unable to enjoy what's put in front of you by the screaming voices in your head telling you that you may be missing a frame or two somewhere, leave that to the nitwitvile nitwits and the cinewhiners. You just got to see more of a hundred year old Larry Semon comedy, that's a good day! Thank you David Glass for making the effort.

And hoping you're having a good, well, and safe day back there in the UK.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Dull Care (reconstructed)

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri May 08, 2020 3:22 pm

See, what did I tell ya! Now Dave Glass has found another three and a half minutes and you get to enjoy it again as a new experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNQvXw-g7Ag

RICHARD M ROBERTS