Ten Years of Silent Comedy Mafia.com

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Ten Years of Silent Comedy Mafia.com

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed May 29, 2019 3:13 am

Hey Gang,

Not that we pay much attention to this sort of thing, and certainly haven’t over the last handfuls of years, but of recent it has dawned on Mr. Gierucki and I that the tenth Anniversary of Silent Comedy Mafia.com is this week upon us.

I guess that is some sort of a milestone, for a solid decade we have been delivering a rather high standard of written scholarship on film comedy as well as other film-related topics, kept you abreast of internet sightings of rare films and announcements of various projects by those in our midst. We have certainly shown by our policy of making the folk arounds these parts use their real names when they post here that it keeps things on a far more civilized keel than the rest of the pile of screaming looneys known as the internet, in ten years we have had to use our administrator scissors only two or three times, and always only to remove information not ready for public consumption mistakenly leaked by one of our denizens. In that time we have only had to take the key to the clubhouse away from one surly social miscreant who foolishly ignored a number of warnings that he was treading on thin ice and shouldn’t be jumping up and down on it. SCM has been a quiet and peaceful place really, so much more than old Nincompoopvillage (hey, we made up a new name for them just for the occasion) and their nameless nonsense.

So ---(throws a handful of confetti in the air)-----hurrah….Happy 10th Birthday Silent Comedy Mafia……back to work, and remind us when we get to the 20th Anniversary and maybe we’ll say this again.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: Ten Years of Silent Comedy Mafia.com

Postby Ed Watz » Wed May 29, 2019 3:50 am

Thank you Richard, Paul, Rob and Rob and all film buffs who share their knowledge and add to the fun - may The Silent Comedy Mafia be around long enough to match the title of this film:
S2-9 .jpg
S2-9 .jpg (148.31 KiB) Viewed 18054 times
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

David Pickard

Postby David Pickard » Wed May 29, 2019 2:56 pm

Really great for an enthusiast like me who knows very little about a lot of these films to have access to the knowledge of the experts in SCM who know so much more. Looking forward to the next 10 years of SCM!

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Wed May 29, 2019 11:31 pm

Happy Anniversary Richard and all my mafia friends.

- SteveR

William Ferry
Cugine

Postby William Ferry » Thu May 30, 2019 4:27 pm

Happy Anniversary Richard, Rob, Paul, Rob and all my fellow Mafioso (Mafiosi?). I'm delighted to be part of the fun, and honored to have achieved the rank of Cugine. SCM has been an opportunity for me to make some new acquaintances and learn a lot. I especially appreciated the heads up on all kinds of rewarding books and DVD releases. Here's to more of the same for many years to come!

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Fri May 31, 2019 11:13 am

Contrats to all for a job well done. Let's celebrate with a swig o' milk... from a dirty glass!
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri May 31, 2019 6:01 pm

Happy anniversary, and thank you all for all the various projects that have kept the treasure alive, and, of course, the rigorous attention to detail we so frequently need. SCM is unmatched.

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Happy Anniversary!
And I am so happy to be back. I was always here just lurking because I had computer problems and the website froze me out for a while for unknown reasons and then my email got corrupted and it was email through which I was registered here so I've been forced to lurk for a long time.

Seeing a notice about the anniversary reminded me that I was still just lurking here without the ability to comment. Now that the email is fixed the anniversary notice put a fire under me to get things straightened out so I could comment not just lurk

So happy anniversary and I am so glad to be back. .... full-fledged member of the Mafia.

Agnes McFadden
Agnes McFadden

William Ferry
Cugine

Postby William Ferry » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:46 pm

Agnes McFadden wrote:Happy Anniversary!
And I am so happy to be back. I was always here just lurking because I had computer problems and the website froze me out for a while for unknown reasons and then my email got corrupted and it was email through which I was registered here so I've been forced to lurk for a long time.

Seeing a notice about the anniversary reminded me that I was still just lurking here without the ability to comment. Now that the email is fixed the anniversary notice put a fire under me to get things straightened out so I could comment not just lurk

So happy anniversary and I am so glad to be back. .... full-fledged member of the Mafia.

Agnes McFadden

--------
Well worth the wait, Agnes! Lurking is fun, but posting is funner. I'm glad new technology has finally allowed you to comment on an old one!