WEISS-O-RAMA on sale through Amazon from Sprocket Vault

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

WEISS-O-RAMA on sale through Amazon from Sprocket Vault

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:55 am

Hey Gang,

In case you never bothered to pick up the DVD set, or have worn out your old copy from repeated Poodles Hanneford viewings, WEISS-O-RAMA can now be had for the bargain price of $14.99 on the Sprocket Vault's Amazon page:

https://www.amazon.com/Weiss-O-Rama-Ben ... iss-o-rama

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Re: WEISS-O-RAMA on sale through Amazon from Sprocket Vault

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:13 pm

Friends, this is a great set. I really enjoyed the few Ben Turpin comedies on the collection, two I'd never seen before. The Turpin's alone are worth your investment of this DVD. Plus you also get Snub Pollard comedies, Poodles Hannaford, and other goodies that the Weiss Brothers produced back in the day. When this set was first released some years ago now, I was more than happy at the time. I still am. The quality and the selection are well worth the price. And I so hoped for a Volume Two because I knew Richard and Kit had more of this Weiss stuff.

Thanks for putting this one together, Richard and Kit. My copy is always near the player.

- SteveR

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks for the nice words Steve, WEISS-O-RAMA was indeed a labor of love, and if enough folk pick it up while it's on sale, mebbe' Kit and I might be convinced it'd be worth doing a Volume Two............

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:30 am

For me, the Snub Pollard shorts were the big draw, but I enjoyed watching them all. I was particularly surprised by Jimmy Aubrey, from whom I don't expect much, delivering some solid laughs. This is the coda to the silent comedy era, and genuinely hope to see another volume of Weiss Brothers comedies. Maybe even Bud Duncan.

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:03 am

One of the best all time DVD silent comedy collections, this DVD set contains some of the best comedians Ben Turpin, Snub Pollard, Poodles Hannaford and Jimmy Aubrey in several of the funniest and final silent comedies from the late 20's. This was the first time I got to see Jimmy Aubrey and Poodles Hannaford comedies and found them very fine comedians, extremely inventive and creative.

With the WEISS-O-RAMA DVD we are exposed to a so many extremely funny comedies from very fine comedians, each one with a different comedy character and comic approach to their work of the twenties. This makes them each a unique comedian in personally executed sight gags and physical comedy approaches. This is what makes silent comedy so much fun and appealing to watch.

One of my favorites DVD sets to re-watch many times over. For me, I am grateful for Richard M. Roberts and Kit Parker for taking the time and expense in putting out such a collection for silent comedy fans to enjoy many time over.
Glad to see it's being offered again. Thanks for making this set available.

Pasquale Ventura

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Again, many thanks for the kind words (and hello again to Pasquale, it's been awhile since we've seen you here).

And a reminder that one can still review this up at Amazon, if one really wishes to sing the disc's praises where it will do real good.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Bill Sprague

Postby Bill Sprague » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:52 am

Great to see this fine set of comedies is still available. "SPRINGTIME SAPS' would be a great one to lead off Volume 2 if you decide to go forward with a Volume2 in the future.

William Ferry
Cugine

Postby William Ferry » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:35 pm

My advice is, don't hesitate to grab this set. The Turpin comedies are the highlight (if my son is any judge, and he is). I was glad to catch the Pollard-Loback entries and the Hairbreadth Harry romps; they best represent the absurdity to which silent comedy could aspire. An added bonus is the overall excellent print quality! Put me on the ditto list for Volume Two (to steal a joke from a reviewer, you can call it Weiss-A-Roni).

Sorry for the pun, Richard, my meds haven't kicked in yet. I'll go quietly, Officer...

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:44 pm

William Ferry wrote:My advice is, don't hesitate to grab this set. The Turpin comedies are the highlight (if my son is any judge, and he is). I was glad to catch the Pollard-Loback entries and the Hairbreadth Harry romps; they best represent the absurdity to which silent comedy could aspire. An added bonus is the overall excellent print quality! Put me on the ditto list for Volume Two (to steal a joke from a reviewer, you can call it Weiss-A-Roni).

Sorry for the pun, Richard, my meds haven't kicked in yet. I'll go quietly, Officer...

Hey, the reviewer stole that joke from me, it's one of the first things I say on the commentary tracks.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Bill Sprague

Postby Bill Sprague » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:55 am

Pasquale Ventura wrote:One of the best all time DVD silent comedy collections, this DVD set contains some of the best comedians Ben Turpin, Snub Pollard, Poodles Hannaford and Jimmy Aubrey in several of the funniest and final silent comedies from the late 20's. This was the first time I got to see Jimmy Aubrey and Poodles Hannaford comedies and found them very fine comedians, extremely inventive and creative.

With the WEISS-O-RAMA DVD we are exposed to a so many extremely funny comedies from very fine comedians, each one with a different comedy character and comic approach to their work of the twenties. This makes them each a unique comedian in personally executed sight gags and physical comedy approaches. This is what makes silent comedy so much fun and appealing to watch.

One of my favorites DVD sets to re-watch many times over. For me, I am grateful for Richard M. Roberts and Kit Parker for taking the time and expense in putting out such a collection for silent comedy fans to enjoy many time over.
Glad to see it's being offered again. Thanks for making this set available.

Pasquale Ventura

The Weiss Brothers Comedies prove that a large budget is not needed to produce a funny film. I remember talking to Adrian Weiss on the phone , before he passed away. I tried to tell him that there are people that wish to see the comedies in the Weiss Brothers Collection. He simply did not believe that a younger generation would be interested at all in those films. He said that the last time those materials were touched were in the 1960s or so when they were excerpted for their "Chuckleheads" series for television syndication. They also apparently sold some 8mm and 16mm prints of some of their subjects in the 1950s and 1960s in the pre-video years