THE OLD WALLOP (1927) Our Gang

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

THE OLD WALLOP (1927) Our Gang

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:23 am

Here's a now found Our Gang comedy, released October 22, 1927, directed by Robert McGowan and featuring the Gang with Anita Garvin and Edgar Dearing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtqATIV8nuk

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Re: THE OLD WALLOP (1927) Our Gang

Postby Joe Migliore » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:46 pm

I finally got around to watching this. It's great to see another long-lost Our Gang silent; what are there about three still missing? Wheezer provides a great ending, though it's a little unnerving to see the Rascals in Harold Lloyd territory. (More so than say Laurel & Hardy in LIBERTY.) The restoration of the first scene provides the premise that makes the whole short work, the soundtrack is well-matched to the action, and the print isn't bad. Thanks for posting this!

Geoff Lucas
Cugine

Postby Geoff Lucas » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:06 pm

I am one of three people that participated in the recent release of The Old Wallop. I had worked on a version of the film several years ago and had access to a better print of the film then. Unfortunately, the owner did not want that footage shared. Another print finally showed up on Ebay, and an interested party offered to finance a transfer for us to work with. The film was in rough shape, but the opportunity was too great, so we went with it.

Michelle Schacht created new opening credits and the English intertitles for the film using the original cutting continuity as the source. She also pieced together the description for the missing opening sequence.

After we had finished our little homebrew project, we didn't know what to do with it. We certainly weren't looking to profit from something that was not ours to begin with. What we simply wanted was to let people see the film. After viewing many of the other Our Gang silents that linger around on Youtube in various degrees of quality, we decided to let it join the ranks. I am happy, and a bit relieved, that it is finally out there (again) for the masses to enjoy.

Thanks Richard for sharing it with the forum. You beat me to it!

Chris Snowden
Associate

Postby Chris Snowden » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 pm

If you love Our Gang and you haven't yet watched The Old Wallop on YouTube, you might want to make that a priority.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Richard Bann announced on Facebook this week that "This is a copyrighted film and will be removed from YouTube."

Geoff Lucas
Cugine

Postby Geoff Lucas » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Chris Snowden wrote:If you love Our Gang and you haven't yet watched The Old Wallop on YouTube, you might want to make that a priority.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Richard Bann announced on Facebook this week that "This is a copyrighted film and will be removed from YouTube."

I have already removed the film. We were not intending to ruffle feathers. On the plus side, Leonard Maltin enjoyed seeing it.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:45 am

Sincere thanks to you Geoff, and to Michelle and all those who had a hand in restoring THE OLD WALLOP. And a special Thank You for having shared it on Youtube, knowing that it was destined to be pulled.

The talkie version of Charley Chase's SNAPPY SNEEZER had been similarly posted on YouTube back in November before it was removed due to copyright status.

There's a collector out there (can't recall his name) who has 16mm prints of three of Charley Chase's rarest Roach-MGM silents. However, he's understandably afraid of the current copyright owners coming after him if these were made public.

I have to believe in an Afterlife once I shuffle off the current one. Because that may be the only way we'll see all the "missing" films we're dying to see...
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:49 pm

Yeah, I posted "Snappy Sneezer" knowing it was going to get pulled but for fans who wanted to see it I let them know. Then again, we'll never see any Chase DVD/blu release from the likes of Dick Bann & Co., just his precious 16mm prints that only he has. Oh well.