Restored WHEN COMEDY WAS KING DVD from Sprocket Vault

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Tommie Hicks
Capo

Re: Restored WHEN COMEDY WAS KING DVD from Sprocket Vault

Postby Tommie Hicks » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:43 am

KWGN in Denver aired Youngson comps fairly regularly in the late 60's and early 70's. I saw FOUR CLOWNS in an actual cinema. A sense of awe and wonder would pervade these viewings like no other thing I saw on television. The orchestrated beginning, the announcers who conveyed genuine love for these silent clowns, and my old man's belly laughs. I would marvel how Youngson made these old films look so good. Why weren't comedians this funny and fascinating now? I remember being slightly disappointed in DAYS OF THRILLS AND LAUGHTER because it wasn't wall to wall comedy. I wish Youngson had made more. Are Youngson's Warner Bros. shorts out there anywhere? I know many of those weren't dedicated to silent comedy.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:06 am

Tommie Hicks wrote:KWGN in Denver aired Youngson comps fairly regularly in the late 60's and early 70's. I saw FOUR CLOWNS in an actual cinema. A sense of awe and wonder would pervade these viewings like no other thing I saw on television. The orchestrated beginning, the announcers who conveyed genuine love for these silent clowns, and my old man's belly laughs. I would marvel how Youngson made these old films look so good. Why weren't comedians this funny and fascinating now? I remember being slightly disappointed in DAYS OF THRILLS AND LAUGHTER because it wasn't wall to wall comedy. I wish Youngson had made more. Are Youngson's Warner Bros. shorts out there anywhere? I know many of those weren't dedicated to silent comedy.

There's no collection of Youngson's Warner Bros shorts that I know of (that would make a good Warner Archive collection), but some odd ones do turn up on some old Warner Bros DVD releases as extras. Blackhawk Films used to sell prints of them.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:03 am

Regrettably Amazon won't ship this title overseas but fortunately a friend will forward my DVD once she receives it. Just bringing this up because I'm sure that many international members of the SCM will want to own this restoration, perhaps Sprocket Vault can intervene on their behalf?
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)