Ted Mulford

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Ted Mulford

Postby Thomas Reeder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:04 am

Does anyone know anything about an actor named Ted Mulford? I found a single article that stated that he was in the cast of the L-Ko single-reel ZIP AND HIS GANG (02/07/1915) along with Henry Lehrman, Henry Bergman, and Gertrude Selby. An online search didn't reveal much (as far as I took it), but did reveal one striking piece of info: In the article "At The Temple" in the Daily East Oregonian (11/27/1915, p.8) it said that Mulford was actually Joseph Henaberry (the article spells his name as "Henneberry"), who played Lincoln in Griffith's THE BIRTH OF A NATION. According to this article, "Mulford" was "filling an engagement at the Temple theater as a whiteface comedian" and focuses primarily on his role in NATION and the 2 1/2 hours prep time to put on his makeup. IMDb doesn't provide a clue, but it also doesn't appear to have Henneberry appearing in any comedies, either. His acting career (as Henaberry, at least) appears to have come to an end in 1916 when he switched over to direction.

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Re: Ted Mulford

Postby Tommie Hicks » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:04 am

Tom, I have no information on Mr. Mulford, however I appreciate your post as I had no cast information for ZIP AND HIS GANG. I have no cast information on THROUGH THE KNOT HOLE (1-10-15), CAUGHT WITH THE GOODS (1-17-15), EVERY INCH A HERO (1-20-15), and MERRY MARY'S MARRIAGE (1-27-15). Was Lehrman, Bergman, and Selby also involved with these?

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:00 pm

My mistake; I meant "Henabery" rather than "Henaberry." Thanks to one of your eagle-eyed members for quietly pointing out the error!

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:14 pm

Tommie: Here are the credits that I currently have for your four listed films:

THROUGH A KNOT HOLE: Billie Ritchie, Rube Miller, Peggy Pearce; director: Rube Miller
CAUGHT WITH THE GOODS: Henry Bergman, Bolivar the Baby Bear (no kidding)
EVERY INCH A HERO: Gertrude Selby
MERRY MARY'S MARRIAGE: This one is a complete mystery; let me know if you ever come up with a credit

My book on Lehrman, which I dump in BearManor Media's lap in May, will have a complete listing of all L-Ko films, both before and after Lehrman, along with synopses and reviews. Ditto for the Sterling comedies for its one year-plus complete run. That is, of course, if they don't whittle that part of the book down.