Unidentified Bud Jamison, Glen Cavender & Ton of Fun!

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
DaveGlass

Unidentified Bud Jamison, Glen Cavender & Ton of Fun!

Postby DaveGlass » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:57 pm

Stumbled across these jolly japes recently.
Any suggestions?
DG

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj2dPz ... jPQ/videos

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Unidentified Bud Jamison, Glen Cavender & Ton of Fun!

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:26 pm

The Glen Cavender is an Eddie Lyons Arrow short called SEEING DOUBLE (1923).

The Ton of Fun comedy is HOW HIGH IS UP? (1927).

Looks like Charles Dorety in his Fox Sunshine/Century Comedy get-up with Bud Jamison, but it's probably a Century Comedy,am looking further.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

DaveGlass

Postby DaveGlass » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:17 pm

Wonderful!
Thanks Richard.
I thought it might be HOW HIGH IS UP.
As for the Dorety and Jamison clip, yep, it looks like a Century. Interesting set.
I'll be REALLY impressed if you can I.D. that one!

DG

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Bud Jamison starred in two Centuries: A ONE CYLINDER LOVE RIOT (06-16-1920) and LOVE AND GASOLINE (09-20-1920). I have encountered no paper on any of these titles

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:14 am

Yes, Dave, that Three Fatties clip is, like Richard says, from "How High Is Up?" Been on my most wanted list since about 1970 when I saw this exact same Funny Manns clip on TV. Love those thrilling edge top stunts.

Tommie, unless I'm reading your post wrong, Jamison made much more than two shorts for Century. I had several 5x7" stills from different Century titles with him in it, among other players (Dorety, Harry Sweet, Dot Farley, etc).

And thanks so much for reconstructing and posting "Wall Street Blues," Dave. One of the best of the early Sennett Pathecomedies that I've only seen in part on one of the Youngson compilations.

SteveR

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:28 am

Steve,

Those two titles are the only ones that Jamison is listed as the star in the Motion Picture News films in release. I have been trying to compile a short comedy filmography of Universal and new titles keep popping up all the time that were not mentioned in that mag, so there are certainly more than those two. I am beginning to think that when L-KO folded they had a huge backlog of shorts the Sterns turned into Century comedies such as the Billy Bevan HOWLING LIONS AND CIRCUS QUEENS and all of those Chai Hongs.

Don't even get me started on the Fox list '-)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:02 pm

The problem is that it doesn't matter if Jamison is the star or not, the film obviously has Charles Dorety in it as well, which means he is most likely the star of the short rather than Jamison.

Any idea who the woman is? Could it be Lillian Biron or Louise Lorraine? Actually, I'm beginning to think it's Bartine Burkett, which means the short is most likely HIS FEARFUL FINISH (1921)

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:34 pm

Universal must have thought a lot of Jack Cooper to suit up Dorety as Jack whenever Cooper flitted over to Fox or Sennett. Or was it Dorety's idea? Dorety does the Cooper bit in Arbuckle's short THE GARAGE.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:27 pm

Tommie Hicks wrote:Universal must have thought a lot of Jack Cooper to suit up Dorety as Jack whenever Cooper flitted over to Fox or Sennett. Or was it Dorety's idea? Dorety does the Cooper bit in Arbuckle's short THE GARAGE.

Dorety does it in THE HIGH SIGN as well.

Dorety and Cooper seem to be interchangeable in that makeup at Fox,I've seen them both do it there. They also seem to have both dropped it by the mid-20's, then we get Dorety doing the occasional Buster Keaton impression. Cooper sort of revives it for the Hairbreadth Harry's at Weiss, but I think that's the way Relentless Rudolph was drawn anyway, and the hat gets a lot taller.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

DaveGlass

Postby DaveGlass » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:02 am

Just received a very helpful message from Robert Kiss, with regard to the Jamison Dorety clip:

"the French Pathé paperwork for that 9.5mm short, L'ANE RECALCITRANT, suggests it was excerpted from the February 1921 Pathé release LES LIONS DU HAREM, which was originally the Century Comedy MY SALOMY LIONS (5/12/1920). If this is indeed accurate, then it could well be a scene from early on in the short (which by all accounts was rather light on lions!), in which Bud Jamison and Louise Lorraine were American newlyweds in Tunisia and Charles Dorety an American tourist they've met (in the French version, at least)."

Thanks Robert!

DG