Cole Johnson

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Frank Flood
Cugine

Cole Johnson

Postby Frank Flood » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:06 pm

One of the members of our community of interest, Cole Johnson, has passed away:

http://strippersguide.blogspot.com/

I had a few very cordial interactions with Cole over the years, as he and I had many similar interests. My condolences to his family and friends.

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Re: Cole Johnson

Postby Tommie Hicks » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Rest in peace. You shall be missed.

Steve Massa
Capo

Postby Steve Massa » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:32 pm

Hopefully he's watching stuff like HAT'S OFF, HEART TROUBLE, Montgomery & Rock shorts, and Fox Sunshine Comedies.

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:58 am

And he's telling Hal Roach, Al Christie and Henry Lehrman a few things they didn't know about their own studios.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Thomas Reeder
Cugine

Postby Thomas Reeder » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:07 am

I didn't know Cole well at all, having only met him at Slapsticon and later having lunch with him once at Mostly Lost a year or so back. I contacted him back in August with the hope that he might have one or two images in his collection that could be used in my upcoming book on Henry Lehrman, and this led to an hour-long phone conversation where we talked about silent comedy, old films in general, old comic strips, and his hometown of Levittown, PA, a place where I once lived way back when. He alluded to having some medical issues, but didn't go into any sort of detail, nor did I pursue it. What followed was a number of emails with all sorts of great images, and several mailings of other materials. I didn't know that he was an aspiring cartoonist, but his mailings quickly proved that. Two of them:

I wish now that I had gotten to know him better; he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

Tom Reeder