THE HOLLYWOOD KID (1924) Reel Two

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: THE HOLLYWOOD KID (1924) Reel Two

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:10 pm

LOC has more than five minutes of ARE WAITRESSES SAFE?, we ran their 35mm two-reel print at Slapsticon several years ago.

I have a print of HIS HIDDEN PURPOSE as well.

SHE LOVED HIM PLENTY (what there was of it) was run at Slapsticon 2013. About a reel or so as I recall, but it was a funny short.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:41 pm

This thread got me wondering what happened to Tarbox's film collection upon his death. According to Sam Rubin's 'Classic Images' book a company called JEF Films attained the films but supposively have never done anything with them. And on many film forum sites JEF Films has a low reputation as a notorious bootleg operation.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:57 am

I used to suspect that the "Silent Comedy Classics" DVD series (with those colorful, layout-intensive sleeves) might've derived from Tarbox's collection. But then many titles from other home movie distributors started appearing up on their sets.

Years ago someone from JEF Films reported that they would issue Tarbox's print of SCAREM MUCH, a rare 1924 Sennett short that may contain a cameo appearance by Harry Langdon. Langdon can be seen in a few production stills as a boxing match spectator. To date nothing has come out of this.

Tarbox had the only known material on several Sennett shorts. I bought Tarbox's 16mm negative of Langdon's PLAIN CLOTHES from him because I was concerned that it would have gotten lost in a package deal. Turns out this was the right move (Rohauer was mad as hell when he found out).
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Louie Despres
Associate

Postby Louie Despres » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:58 am

LOVE Rohauer stories!

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:25 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:LOC has more than five minutes of ARE WAITRESSES SAFE?, we ran their 35mm two-reel print at Slapsticon several years ago.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

That's great! The reel they handed me to view only had bits and pieces of the film.

I have requested for viewing from the LOC four times the Fatty Voss comedy LITTLE BO PEEP and I keep getting the Batfink cartoon.

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:40 pm

I have a VHS copy of ARE WAITRESSES SAFE? from many years ago, recently copied on a DVD-R disc. As already mentioned, what a cast in this one.

Pasquale

DaveGlass

Postby DaveGlass » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:58 am

Here's a couple of links to most of ARE WAITRESSES SAFE? ...
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKv35GwL3-A
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLV6nWtFH6Q

DG

DaveGlass

Postby DaveGlass » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:58 am

Oh and by the way, Turpin is DEFINITELY in HOLLYWOOD KID.
Murray, with the help of Madeline Hurlock spots him, followed by Marie Prevost and then Billy Bevan as a director.
And if you're still doubting, I also have a copy of the inter-titles sheet from the Sennett archives which includes the Turpin reference.
Once my projector's mended I'll post the film on YT if you like...
Dave

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks for the additional info on The Hollywood Kid, Dave.

Hearing that, but until my screening it, I'm guessing it's old footage from A Small Town Idol.
My reason being the appearance of Marie Prevost who's been gone from Sennett a few years by this time.
Plus Billy Bevan as a director is also coincidental with A Small Town Idol.
If you have the time and if it's no trouble, I'd love to see it at youtube. Thank you either way because Ed's print will be on Sennett Volume 2!

And thanks for the tip at YT about Are Waitresses Safe? Great print that I've seen there before.
In fact I think this is the same print Tarbox used because of the same freeze frame flaw in the second reel and the print's lack of anything additional from Charlie's copy. According to old reviews, there was supposed to be some clever bits of Ben & Slim in the poolroom, absent from this print. Maybe the billiard bit is in that five minutes held by LoC(?).

And Ed (Hi!), I once bought Tarbox's 8mm print of Scarem Much but it was so dark I had to return it. I think Charlie was gonna redo it for me but never did for some reason, tho I think his master was bad to begin with.

Have a great weekend guys,

– SteveR

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Hey SteveR!

The scenes I viewed from AWS at the LOC looked like trims with no sort of continuity. I don't remember a game of pool between Slim and Ben but I distinctly remember business between Pepper Puss and Louise on a pool table.