THE HOLLYWOOD KID (1924) Reel Two

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

THE HOLLYWOOD KID (1924) Reel Two

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:31 am

Here's the harder-to-see second half of the Mack Sennett Comedy with Charlie Murray, Louise CArver, Vernon Dent, Andy Clyde, Madeline Hurlock and various Bathing Beauties:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7oh2ZVx3Ew

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: THE HOLLYWOOD KID (1924) Reel Two

Postby Ed Watz » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:07 am

I just skimmed through the reel but it appears that Ben Turpin's cameo is missing from this YouTube version -- Turpin appears in my two-reel print which Paul Gierucki is using in the next Mack Sennett volume.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:03 pm

To be honest with you all – and in all my many years watching and collecting Ben Turpin – I've still never seen the Turpin footage from "The Hollywood Kid". It's avoided me for over forty years! I think it was Brent Walker who told me (or maybe it was you, Ed?), that the Turpin footage was taken from earlier stuff. I know I've seen at least 3/4's of the complete print but never yet saw Ben in those prints. So DANKE Herr Watz, und PROST! to you und Paul Gierucki! And also thanks to Richard whose collection most of these Sennett titles are from.

Steve

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:06 am

Hey Steve, you're very welcome -- I'm sorry but I 'm not sure what Brent might have said about this -- for myself I only noted that it appeared as though Ben's footage in THE HOLLYWOOD KID could have been footage from an earlier film. Without my print nearby I can only say that a title indicates Ben Turpin is working on a set and then we see him clowning with the Sennett girls. Had I known beforehand that you never saw the Turpin footage I would've made a copy of his sequence with my digital camera (however lousy the focus & flicker) for your reference.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:55 am

That's perfectly OK, Ed, and I appreciate the thought. But I can wait for Sennett Volume Two which should be here any day now, right? ;-)

I forget all the titles Paul's gathering for the next volume, especially the Turpin's. I lent him my complete print of A Harem Knight a while ago, and there's still Ten Dollars or Ten Days, both which I hoped would have been on Vol One. Anyone know the Turpin titles on Vol 2???

All in all, it's the rarer films that I like, things that Blackhawk never sold. I think my two-reel print of 1917's Lost – A Cook would be a great addition to the set, not just because Turpin plays a small bit, but because it's a rare title and features Mack Swain, Mal St. Clair, Little Joey Jacobs, Ethel Teare, Maude Wayne, Cliff Bowes, and I forget who else. I also have one-reel of Roping Her Romeo, one of the earliest of those hard-to-find Sennett-Paramounts, with Turpin, Polly Moran, Slum Simmerville, and others.

Would be great to see your print, Richard, of Step Forward and also Dave Stevenson's print of Are Waitresses' Safe? on the next one. I'll keep my fingers crossed, my eyes are getting too old to mess with.

SteveR

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:22 am

Steve Rydzewski wrote:Would be great to see your print, Richard, of Step Forward and also Dave Stevenson's print of Are Waitresses' Safe? on the next one. I'll keep my fingers crossed, my eyes are getting too old to mess with.

SteveR

I have a print of ARE WAITRESSES SAFE? too.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:04 pm

Your Are Waitresses Safe? would sure look good on the set, Richard, to represent the gap in the few surviving Paramount-Sennett's.
And what a cast: Turpin, Louise Fazenda, Slim Summerville, Glen Cavender, Wayland Trask, Jack Cooper, Teddy & Pepper, Tom Kennedy, Wallace Beery (for just a second), and others. I had an 8mm print from Charlie Tarbox years ago that looked real nice.

Another nice title that's around but rarely seen is A Bedroom Blunder, 1917, the first Sennett-Paramount release. I had this on 16mm years ago but sold it and several others to a guy named Dan Bursik I think. Know him? A good cast with Charlie Murray, Mary Thurman, Wayland Trask, Sennett Babes, Turpin, Eva Thatcher, Pat Forde (aka Frank Terry and other monikers), and even director Eddie Cline pokes his head in the door.

Looking forward to Mr. Gierucki and friends next super stupendous Sennett sensation,

SteveR

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:32 pm

The LOC has about 5 minutes of ARE WAITRESSES SAFE in 35mm.

A friend of mine had a 16mm reduction of HIS HIDDEN PURPOSE, so that Sennett Paramount also managed to survive.

Steve Rydzewski
Associate

Postby Steve Rydzewski » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi Tommie!

Yes, I once had His Hidden Purpose too, but in 8mm. Another I'd gotten from Tarbox.
That was Chester Conklin, Marie Prevost, and Neal Burns. Haven't seen it in years.

MoMA has a rare one, Love Loops the Loop, direct from the Dutch archives I believe, retitled Raci Palec.
That was Murray, Thurman, Trask, Harry Booker, Turpin, Laura LaVarnie, and others. Another good one.

And wasn't She Loved Him Plenty recently screened?

Hope more rare reels turn up in time to get them all squeezed onto Volume Two.

The ever-optimistic, – SR

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:38 am

Charles Tarbox was going to sell his 16mm negatives on the Sennett Paramounts to Raymond Rohauer in the late 1970s . But coincidentally Rohauer's "Silent Clowns" series played in L.A. at that time and Tarbox got wind of it. I remember him telling Rohauer, "Mack Sennett's gotten very big again," upping his price to $500 per film. Rohauer was not going to spend that kind of money, so that was the end of that.