LA TIMES -- BEST DVDs OF 2014 (MACK SENNETT COLLECTION)

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

LA TIMES -- BEST DVDs OF 2014 (MACK SENNETT COLLECTION)

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:48 am

CineMuseum's THE MACK SENNETT COLLECTION has been named one of L.A. Times' best DVDs of 2014!
A wonderful honor for everyone involved.

Paul E. Gierucki

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... story.html

-- snip --

The Mack Sennett Collection Vol. One" (Flicker Alley, Blu-ray)

The subtitle of this three-disc set of silent-era classics is "50 Digitally Restored Classic Films," but that doesn't even begin to describe what "The Mack Sennett Collection" has to offer. The real value is in the commentary tracks by scholars and archivists who talk about how one of Hollywood's all-time greats gathered and nurtured a phenomenal collection of comic talent.

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: LOS ANGELES TIMES -- BEST DVDs OF 2014

Postby Ed Watz » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:42 am

An honor indeed, and well-deserved, Paul (and Brittany, Richard, Brent, Steve, Stan, Bruce, Doug -- and everyone else who contributed to this magnificent set). Looking forward to Langdon, Arbuckle, volume two of Mack Sennett, and whatever else you offer us in the New Year!
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Rift Corbitt

Postby Rift Corbitt » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 pm

Ed Watz wrote:An honor indeed, and well-deserved, Paul (and Brittany, Richard, Brent, Steve, Stan, Bruce, Doug -- and everyone else who contributed to this magnificent set). Looking forward to Langdon, Arbuckle, volume two of Mack Sennett, and whatever else you offer us in the New Year!

Nice list from the LA Times, especially given a certain frozen snails paced set is missing.

To Ed Watz's post I'd like to add chomping a the bit for a Mabel Normand set!

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:45 pm

Rift Corbitt wrote:
Ed Watz wrote:An honor indeed, and well-deserved, Paul (and Brittany, Richard, Brent, Steve, Stan, Bruce, Doug -- and everyone else who contributed to this magnificent set). Looking forward to Langdon, Arbuckle, volume two of Mack Sennett, and whatever else you offer us in the New Year!

Nice list from the LA Times, especially given a certain frozen snails paced set is missing.

Now now, we are above such feelings in our hour of glory, but since you mentioned it, isn't it interesting that Flicker Alley seems to be including such kudos as the Sennett set is receiving on their Facebook page ONLY when the Chaplin Mutual Set gets mention as well?:

https://www.facebook.com/FlickerAlley

Hmm, no sign of the LA Times list, but the San Antonio Who Cares Gazette's Fifteen Best is there? Are those ruffling feathers I hear in the distance?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: LA TIMES -- BEST DVDs OF 2014 (MACK SENNETT COLLECTION)

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:13 am

I love the Chaplin Mutuals (shown at the correct speed for silent comedy and not in slo-mo) but seriously, it's the Sennett Collection that deserves all the attention and where Flicker Alley should be directing their publicity. I don't need another Chaplin Mutuals set, thank you very much.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)