MACK SENNETT COLLECTION COMMENTARY TRACKS and ERRATA

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

MACK SENNETT COLLECTION COMMENTARY TRACKS and ERRATA

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:10 pm

For those interested, CineMuseum's Mack Sennett Collection contains 28 commentary tracks
provided by the historians, archivists, and authors listed below:

Richard M. Roberts:

A FISHY AFFAIR
THE SPEED KINGS
SHOT IN THE EXCITEMENT
THE GREAT TOE MYSTERY
A BIRDS A BIRD
BLACK OXFORDS
A RAINY KNIGHT
TAXI FOR TWO

Steve Massa:

THE CURTAIN POLE
THE MANICURE LADY
ON HIS WEDDING DAY
BANGVILLE POLICE

Brent Walker:

A DASH THROUGH THE CLOUDS
THE WATER NYMPH
HIS BITTER PILL
DON’T WEAKEN
THE DARE-DEVIL
SUPER-HOOPER-DYNE LIZZIES
RUN, GIRL, RUN

Doug Sulpy:

RECREATION

Stan Taffel, Nick Santa Maria, Joe Adamson:

THE NOISE OF BOMBS
FATTY AND MABEL ADRIFT
GYMNASIUM JIM
THE FATAL GLASS OF BEER

Bruce Lawton & Steve Massa

HIS MARRIAGE WOW
FIDDLESTICKS

Michael Hayde

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

Paul E. Gierucki:

A THIEF CATCHER

-------------------------------------------------------------

ERRATA

The score for RECREATION (1914) was composed and performed by Andrew Simpson, rather than Ben Model as listed in the credits.
This was an unfortunate clerical error and we extend our most sincere apologies to both Ben and Andrew.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: MACK SENNETT COLLECTION COMMENTARY TRACKS and ERRATA

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Hey, how did I end up doing more the rest of the gang? Lazy Pikers!

RICHARD M ROBERTS (and if I'd have known GALLOPING BUNGALOWS was going wanting, I'd have done one for that too, it's one of the best Sennetts Del Lord ever did)

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Ha! There was no room left for anything more than what we did! Seriously, the material took up 99% of the available space on every disc. (We needed a shoehorn to wedge in the PDF for Joe Adamson's essay.) No room for another thing, even if it was only wafer thin...

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:25 pm

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:Ha! There was no room left for anything more than what we did! Seriously, the material took up 99% of the available space on every disc. (We needed a shoehorn to wedge in the PDF for Joe Adamson's essay.) No room for another thing, even if it was only wafer thin...

That's right, I forgot, this was due to a certain distributor (no names please) who decided to cut the number of Blu-Ray Discs from five to three.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Michael J Hayde
Associate

Postby Michael J Hayde » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:05 pm

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:Ha! There was no room left for anything more than what we did! Seriously, the material took up 99% of the available space on every disc. (We needed a shoehorn to wedge in the PDF for Joe Adamson's essay.) No room for another thing, even if it was only wafer thin...

Michael Hayde

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

Space was so limited, I had to sacrifice my middle initial.

Seriously, thank you, Paul, for asking me to participate. I'm only sorry LITTLE ELF's co-author couldn't join me. My birthday's next month, and this set and a Blu-ray player will be the gift. Counting the days!

Michael (x) Hayde

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:43 pm

Michael J Hayde wrote:

Michael Hayde

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

Space was so limited, I had to sacrifice my middle initial.

Seriously, thank you, Paul, for asking me to participate. I'm only sorry LITTLE ELF's co-author couldn't join me. My birthday's next month, and this set and a Blu-ray player will be the gift. Counting the days!

Michael (x) Hayde

I think the Blu-Ray Player Industry will have to send Paul a special thank-you of some sort for making a lot of silent film collectors have to purchase Blu-Ray players.

RICHARD M ROBERTS (got mine out of the box when the discs showed up on Wednesday)

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Richard M Roberts
I think the Blu-Ray Player Industry will have to send Paul a special thank-you of some sort for making a lot of silent film collectors have to purchase Blu-Ray players.

Add flowers and a box of candy with that.

Pasquale

Robert Moulton
Cugine

Postby Robert Moulton » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:18 pm

A great set, unbelievably crisp images! Like someone said elsewhere, now you notice things you did not notice before. I hadn't noticed before that in The Dentist you can see that the daughter has a pair of ice tongs above her bed. I imagine I could see it (now) in other editions but it has never leapt out at me before.

One question, I already have a BluRay player (a PS3) but it would not read the PDF of Joe's essay. Do I need a BluRay drive on a PC also so I can read the PDF?

That's not a complaint, I'll gladly update my PC if I need to, just checking to see if there is another way to read the file.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:44 am

Robert, I can't answer your question but if you should find a BluRay app for the PC (or Mac) that you prefer, would you please share that information here? We have plenty of DVD options in our house but only one BluRay player (and with this sole BluRay set I'm currently in the minority). Thanks in advance!

Ed (impatiently waiting to return home this weekend so I can enjoy these Sennetts...)
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:08 am

I didn't need a Blu-Ray app. Just put in in your PC, go into "Computer" or "My Computer" and hit "Open". You should see a PDF labeled "The Mack Sennett Story". Just drag it over to your desktop.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx