SENNETT and CHAPLIN MUTUALS available for pre-order!

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Joe Migliore
Cugine

Re: SENNETT and CHAPLIN MUTUALS available for pre-order!

Postby Joe Migliore » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 am

Pasquale Ventura wrote:
What's a good BD player at a reasonable price?

You can find some deals on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blu-ray-Disc-TM ... 4ad3975700

Joe Moore
Associate

Postby Joe Moore » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:51 am

I finally broke down and bought one myself.

Fry's Electronics usually has one on sale in the $40-50 range (often with some extra bells and whistle such as Wireless internet apps).

Best

Joe

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:01 am

Thank you. Very skeptical about buying used electronics off ebay, especially used or refurbished.
Did a search myself and yeah the prices are about what you state. Is there a brand thats better than others....Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer? Our DVD players are Pioneer and Toshiba and we like them a lot, have been very reliable players. But a search on Toshiba BD players seem to have bad reviews. Samsung BD players seem to be very popular.

You mentioned Fry's, you must be in LA?

Don't need all that extra bells and whistle stuff, just a player for all disc formats. I'll keep researching.

Pasquale

DaveGlass

Postby DaveGlass » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks for the reassurance Paul.
I'm a fan of BR too but have got stung a few times buying discs from the USA that I can't then watch!

(p.s. BR stands for BluRay and not British Rail....... or Bert Roach...)

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:35 pm

... or Billy Ruge... or Benny Rubin...

Robert Arkus
Capo

Postby Robert Arkus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:06 pm

For what it's worth, I held out for years because what I saw on the new flat screen monitors looked really crappy! I'm talking about VHS and standard def DVDs that I had created and thought it was not in my best interest to "upgrade." After all, everything looked great on my tube television. Fast forward to a couple of years ago and the new LED TVs ... they are a big improvement. I made the move after I did some work on the KINO Keaton set. I got myself a SONY (BDP-BX18) blu-ray player and to my surprise and delight, it plays both my regular DVDs and my PAL DVDs. It also plays digital files! I also have the option to connect it to the Internet, etc. and will eventually try to figure that out one day. So, it turned out to be a very positive move for me ... Also, since I work in video transmission, I also realized that the standard def broadcasts of most everything, was now coming in as either pan/scan or "center-cut" to my standard def, CRT Television set, so I'm glad I now have the 42" LED flat screen TV. As for starting again with my collection in Blu-Ray? I don't think so!!

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:48 am

Sony BD players have connections to Netflix, Hulu +, and dozens of other streaming services, some subscription, some free. Since a basic deck doesn't cost much more than a ROKU or an Apple TV box, it's like getting a Blu-ray player thrown in for free.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:50 am

I was just reading about those Sony extras this weekend (it looks like we all are suddenly in the market for players). I'm not sure I follow why I would need a blu ray player just to get Hulu Plus. Is that so it is transmitted in true Hi-Def?

I use to be able to make ham & cheese sandwiches atop my old Beta Max player.

Pasquale Ventura

Postby Pasquale Ventura » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:38 am

Looks like quite a few of us are suddenly researching and reading up on BD players. Guess that's a good thing. Personally I don't need all that streaming, apps, netflix , ricotta pie and canoli recipes stuff. Just a player for all disc formats and I'll be satisfied. We already have a HD LCD TV so ahead of the game in that area.

Robert Arkus
As for starting again with my collection in Blu-Ray? I don't think so!!

Spot on Robert.

Rob Farr
Since a basic deck doesn't cost much more than a ROKU or an Apple TV box, it's like getting a Blu-ray player thrown in for free.

Send me that free player anytime thank you very much!

Paul E. Gierucki
Godfather

Postby Paul E. Gierucki » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:20 pm

Heads up! Today is the final day to order the Mack Sennett / Chaplin Mutuals Combo pack!
Both collections will still be available for pre-order, but not with the additional discount.

http://www.flickeralley.com