Buster sells "Rilly Shave"

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Chris Seguin

Buster sells "Rilly Shave"

Postby Chris Seguin » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:33 pm

I came across the following quote from Eleanor Keaton in the book "Little Iron Man"...can anyone here confirm that the following was actually made?

"And a razor commercial in August (1962). That was Rilly-Shave for Canada, I remember because we made it up in the desert and it was a hundred and twenty degrees up there. The only thing I can really remember, he was out in the desert, and he plugged his razor into a cactus and, some silly thing."

This seems to have been between filming Candid Camera in August, and Ford commercials in September. Because Eleanor keeps saying "up", I wonder if she means up in Canada? (Yes, there are deserts in Canada, and it can get up to 120 degrees in August...even though it seems unlikely.)

Help?
Chris

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Re: Buster sells "Rilly Shave"

Postby Tommie Hicks » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:06 pm

I wish I had an answer for you Chris, but I don't and I hope you don't mind if I use your post to ask a similar question: Can anyone confirm or deny if Buster was a schill for Sinclair/Shamrock gas stations? My Dad says that he did but I cannot find anything to confirm this.

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:14 pm

Hey Tommie,
Both "Industrial Strength Keaton" and "Keaton Plus" have (unedited) footage from a Shamrock TV commercial. I'm pretty sure some of it shows up in "A Hard Act To Follow" too.
If you don't have the discs, I can post to youtube.
Chris

Elliot Hearst
Cugine

Postby Elliot Hearst » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:47 pm

Tommie Hicks wrote:I wish I had an answer for you Chris, but I don't and I hope you don't mind if I use your post to ask a similar question: Can anyone confirm or deny if Buster was a schill for Sinclair/Shamrock gas stations? My Dad says that he did but I cannot find anything to confirm this.

I am pretty sure I have seen the Sinclair Oil ad.

Agnes McFadden
Cugine

Postby Agnes McFadden » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:16 pm

Tommie,
I think that they showed the Keaton commercials at the "I'd Like my Keaton Rare, Please" section at the first Slapsticon in 2003.

Yes, it is in 'Industrial Strength Keaton" . I believe that was Bruce Lawton's film that he used for "ISK".

Agnes McFadden
Agnes McFadden

Tommie Hicks
Capo

Postby Tommie Hicks » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:42 pm

I have the INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH and boy is my face red. I distincly remember Buster doing a commercial for a gas station (the endless hose) but I thought it was for another oil company.

Ian Elliot
Associate

Postby Ian Elliot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:47 pm

Chris, I think that by "Rilly Shave" Mrs. Keaton must have meant Philishave, the electric razor from the Philips company, sold as the Norelco razor in the U.S. (so says Wikipedia). I suspect this is the mysterious item Jack Dragga lists in his Keaton filmography, a 1962 "Canadian Electric Razor" commercial filmed in Los Angeles.

Ian Elliot

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Hey Ian, I knew I'd find you here eventually! I think you might have answered it, your diligent research pays off once again! (Apparently Jack Dragga's Keaton filmography in in the Meade book...guess I'll have to climb the stairs and take a look!)
Thank you sir!