THE STEEPLECHASER (1922) Educational Mermaid Comedy

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

THE STEEPLECHASER (1922) Educational Mermaid Comedy

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:18 pm

I think this is the 1922 Educational Mermaid Comedy THE STEEPLECHASER with Lige Conley, Jimmie Adams and Spencer Bell. It's one of those Italian sound reissues with the wonderful dubbed voices. Here's it is in both Youtube parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uxu8dv8zQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzqzF-Hp4HE

RICHARD M ROBERTS

DaveGlass

Re: THE STEEPLECHASER (1922) Educational Mermaid Comedy

Postby DaveGlass » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am

Not to be confused with the Lige Conley FOX comedy 'THE STEEPLECHASE' made 4 years later!
Who'd a thought?...

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:26 pm

DaveGlass wrote:Not to be confused with the Lige Conley FOX comedy 'THE STEEPLECHASE' made 4 years later!
Who'd a thought?...

Now, in fairness, the Fox Comedy is actually called THE STEEPLECHASE, not THE STEEPLECHASER. Only the imd(um)b gets them mixed up under the same title.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Maurice Terenzio
Associate

Postby Maurice Terenzio » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:53 am

Apropos of very little, but my wife Diane and I watched this comedy. Diane is conversant in Italian. She thought the film was funny...but she thought the Italian dialogue was really funny. Makes me wish I paid attention when my Grandmother wanted to teach me Italian when I was a boy.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Maurice Terenzio wrote:Apropos of very little, but my wife Diane and I watched this comedy. Diane is conversant in Italian. She thought the film was funny...but she thought the Italian dialogue was really funny. Makes me wish I paid attention when my Grandmother wanted to teach me Italian when I was a boy.

What I find interesting is that just the odd, frenetic sound of the Italian, whether I can understand it or not, and the sound effects, have triggered a laugh or two in me as well. There's a general silliness to the whole thing that seems to work.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Postby Gary Johnson » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:15 pm

So everyone here thinks it's normal to dub dialog to a silent comedy?
Call me old-fashioned but where in the hell is the color???

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:44 pm

Gary Johnson wrote:So everyone here thinks it's normal to dub dialog to a silent comedy?
Call me old-fashioned but where in the hell is the color???

No, not dialogue, when one doesn't particularly understand the language, the language becomes more of a sound effect, and it's punctuation of the gags seems to work, especially in the Italian version of the Larry Semon comedies. The Italian Dialogue given to Semon's characters just sounds like hysterical noise, less distracting then hearing Leo White yell "Fire" endlessly in the Van Beuren Soundtrack of Chaplin's THE FIREMAN.

Here's an example with a Larry Semon Comedy:

RICHARD M ROBERTS