No Slapsticon for 2014

Interact with your favorite SCM authors, producers, directors, historians, archivists and silent comedy savants. Or just read along. Whatever.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

No Slapsticon for 2014

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:56 am

We're giving you folks the message here first:

We have decided not to go forward with Slapsticon 2014 at Indiana University in Bloomington. Both personal and logistical reasons are in play here, and we definitely want to say that Indiana University Cinema is not to blame for any of these decisions. We think very highly of Jon Vickers and the Indiana University Theater Staff and thank them for the fine work and cooperation they gave us in putting on Slapsticon 2013 there.

We'll keep you informed of future Slapsticon plans here and on the Slapsticon website if/when there are any. Sorry for any inconvienience this announcement may cause.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Kerkhoff
Capo

Re: No Slapsticon for 2014

Postby Jim Kerkhoff » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Having attended each and every Slapsticon in the history of humanity, this is sad news! Hopefully such a great venue makes a comeback at some point in the near future!

Joe Migliore
Cugine

Postby Joe Migliore » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:35 am

Well, this is unfortunate news; I thoroughly enjoyed Slapsticon 2013, and knew I would be attending more. I'm sure it's difficult to pull everything together; perhaps every few years is a more realistic window.

The good news is that this year it may be possible to simulate the experience at home with the CineMuseum Sennett box, The Mishaps Of Musty Suffer, and Accidentally Preserved 2, by watching everything over a period of four days. (I have no source for new Ham & Bud, so it won't be quite the same.)

Rob Farr
Godfather

Postby Rob Farr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Here's hoping for a Slapsticon 2.0 someday soon, but I want to express thanks and a heartfelt "job well done" to everyone involved with Slapsticon 1.0 which ran from 2003-2013, especially Richard Roberts and Linda Shah who spent untold hours curating the program and dealing with myriad logistics. Not to mention all the many fine accompanists, projectionists, facility managers, sound engineers, web designers, publicists, film presenters, archivists, collectors, and front-desk and behind-the-scenes volunteers we've had over the years. There are too many to mention, but if you have old Slapsticon program books their names are always on the inside cover. And most importantly, thanks to comedy fans who came from all over the world to enjoy great comedy and good fellowship. Without you guys, Slapsticon wouldn't have ever gotten out of the womb. May we all meet again in some theater soon for more shared laughter.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep" - Harpo Marx