"Fainting Lover" Sennett/Educational 1931

101 is designed for beginners with questions about the site, SCM, or early comedy. Use this forum without fear of taunting from advanced users or the local curmudgeons.
Bill Cassara
Associate

"Fainting Lover" Sennett/Educational 1931

Postby Bill Cassara » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:58 am

In the short "Fainting Lover," Vernon Dent sings and dances to a song "Honeymoon." The exact title, I'm not sure about. There must be hundreds of songs with Honeymoon in it, so I am hoping someone familiar with the film can confirm the number he sings. It seems to me to be an established song and one that I've heard many years ago. Can anyone confirm the title of the song or have further info?

Bill Cassara
Associate

Re: "Fainting Lover" Sennett/Educational 1931

Postby Bill Cassara » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:51 am

Hope you guys don't mind if I answer my own question. The "Honeymoon" song in "Fainting Lover" is actually a shortened title. It was originally composed by songwriter Joseph Howard in 1907. The tune was called, "The Waning Honeymoon." It was part of a musical called "The Time, The Place and The Girl"

Just saw the movie "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Know?" (1948) and allegedly a bio of Joseph Howard. Yes, "Honeymoon" is charmingly recreated with illustrated slides. The best part of the movie is William Frawley. The movie has almost nothing common with the quickie autobiography that Joseph Howard wrote that same year. You guys probably know the number, "Hello Ma Baby" from the Warner Bros. cartoon "One Froggy Evening." That song was an original Joseph Howard and at one time called "The telephone song," I guess the reference being from Ma Bell, get it?