Ned Comstock RIP

No one lives forever -- except, perhaps, Shirley MacLaine. This is where we ring down the final curtain for Filmdom's finest.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Ned Comstock RIP

Postby Richard M Roberts » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 pm

Ned Comstock passed away today. To those who don't know the name (and really, there shouldn't be anyone reading this site who doesn't, but I'm sure there are), he was one of the main librarians of the USC Cinema/TV Special Collections, the one who had been there for years and knew everything that they had and would tell you about it if he found out you were researching something. In short, he was USC's equivalent of Sam Gill at the Academy's Margaret Herrick Library and he was a hero and invaluable to all the researchers and historians in our area of interest. As USC housed the Hal Roach Studio papers, he was a huge help to me and Joe Moore in the research of my our Hal Roach book. It is no exaggeration to say his loss is another enormous blow to our community, he is another irreplaceable one, and like so many of the good ones in our field, he was also one of the nicest, helpful, modest and caring people around.

He had to retire several years ago because he was battling cancer for awhile and today the battle is over. He was only 68 damn years old.

May he be with the Angels tonight, reunited with his own kind.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

William Ferry
Cugine

Re: Ned Comstock RIP

Postby William Ferry » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:53 am

Wouldn't it be nice if he's now meeting Hal Roach, et al, and they're thanking him for taking such good care of their records?