Raquel Welch RIP

No one lives forever -- except, perhaps, Shirley MacLaine. This is where we ring down the final curtain for Filmdom's finest.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Raquel Welch RIP

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:12 am

Yeah, I'm bummed about Raquel Welch.......

How could any male in our general age not be, considering she was the Industry-Standard for One Fabulous Babe for most of our lifetimes, and that's pretty impressive considering her movie career was pretty much done by the end of the 70's, and how many great movies was she in? THREE and FOUR MUSKETEERS definitely, where she was actually married to Spike Milligan, and funny in herself to boot, and MOTHER JUGS AND SPEED, a terrific black comedy about ambulance drivers which unfortunately has been cancelled today because Bill Cosby's in it (and he's terrific in it too).

After that, there's a lot of schlock like ONE MILLION YEARS BC, and FATHOM, which are basically excuses to ogle Raquel in skimpy costumes (nothing wrong with that) or MYRA BRECKENRIDGE for those who are really gluttons for punishment. Yet Raquel was also willing to spoof herself in things like BEDAZZLED (1967) and THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN (1969) and continued to happily play along like that throughout her entire career as she showed up on TV Shows like MORK AND MINDY and SEINFELD later on to look gorgeous and be funny.

No idea whether she was a diva in real life or not, couple of people I knew who met her said she wasn't particularly difficult. She was married for short times to four different not-too-impressive guys, and had the best line about divorcing one of them ("He was cheating on me-----and I'm Raquel Welch!")

Maybe the most hopeful thing was the fact that she did have a pretty long life, and looked damn good for most of it. How many of our leading sex-symbols of the Twentieth Century made it to 82? Sex Symbols and child-stars tend to have shorter life spans.

God Bless You Raquel------well, that obviously happened----and now, rest in peace.

RICHARD M ROBERTS