William K. Everson Audio Lecture Archive

SOUND MOVIE MAIN is the spot to discuss non-comedy SOUND films. Go figure.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

William K. Everson Audio Lecture Archive

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:16 pm

The Internet Archive has posted a treasure trove of recordings of William K. Everson lectures, which appear to come from the Theodore Huff Memorial Film Society screenings or some of his film class lectures:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=cr ... %22&page=1

Wonderful Stuff!

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Ed Watz
Associate

Re: William K. Everson Audio Lecture Archive

Postby Ed Watz » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:50 am

This treasure trove of Bill Everson's lectures is pure gold - it's much like listening to a Richard Roberts commentary track - wonderful, indeed!

Thank you Richard for sharing this, how fortunate we are that these tapes were made, saved, and now available.

Ed
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:13 pm

Ed Watz wrote:This treasure trove of Bill Everson's lectures is pure gold - it's much like listening to a Richard Roberts commentary track - wonderful, indeed!

Thank you Richard for sharing this, how fortunate we are that these tapes were made, saved, and now available.

Ed

I take that as a great compliment Ed, because I always took Bill Everson as my high watermark of what a Film Historian should and could be at their best. He was one of the first to buck the academic attitudes and aesthetics and push the concept that the standard Hollywood product: comedies, precodes, horror films, B westerns, serials, etc., were also important and a lot more fun to watch. He expressed his enthusiasm for those films in his writing, which was always well-written and entertaining, and he introduced so many of us to so many great movies. His books remain required reading for anyone wanting to immerse themselves in this area of interest.

We were friendly acquaintances, we corresponded, traded films a time or two, but the opposite coastal thing sadly limited my face to face time with him, I cherished every meal and conversation we had together, and these recordings do indeed bring him back to us, they are true treasures and bless whomever brought their cassette recorder along with them to Bill's shows and made them.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

William Ferry
Cugine

Postby William Ferry » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:33 pm

I'd like to chime in. I first encountered Mr. Everson as a guest on Herb Graff's silent comedy programs on Channel 13 WNET back in the early 70s. This led to my seeking out his books, which have all survived several moves and house cleanings over forty-plus years. He knew his stuff, and it's clear he liked to share his knowledge.

Chris Seguin

Postby Chris Seguin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:19 am

HOLY SMOKES!!