FREE AND EASY - silent

So you want to discuss silent drama, science fiction, horror, noir, mystery and other NON-COMEDY films? Look no further, this is the place.
christopher connelly

FREE AND EASY - silent

Postby christopher connelly » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:17 am

Forgive me for popping in after such a long absence - but I stumbled across a factoid I wanted to share in case it was not already common knowledge amongst you mafiosos:

Throughout 1930, studios offered many sound films in alternate silent versions for theatres who wished to screen in that format - perhaps most famously, ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.

According to the "Quick Reference Guide" in EXHIBITORS HERALD WORLD (available on Lantern) the last hybrid (by release date) from MGM, on April 26, 1930, appears to have been Buster's FREE AND EASY.

Hmmm ... what are the odds a copy might be lurking, unidentified in the Warner (or whatever they call themselves these days) vaults.

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: FREE AND EASY - silent

Postby Richard M Roberts » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:40 pm

Hello Chris, welcome back.

Who knows, the Spanish version of FREE AND EASY resurfaced a decade or so ago, and considering how good it was, and considering how good the original is, and considering the only highlight of that sorry film is Buster's song and dance number, why would the thought of a silent version be so tempting as a must-see?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

christopher connelly

Postby christopher connelly » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:59 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:Hello Chris, welcome back.

Who knows, the Spanish version of FREE AND EASY resurfaced a decade or so ago, and considering how good it was, and considering how good the original is, and considering the only highlight of that sorry film is Buster's song and dance number, why would the thought of a silent version be so tempting as a must-see?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

I'm not sure I would call it a must see, but hope springs eternal that, silent, Thalberg might have looked the other way and allowed Buster to be Buster for a couple of minutes.

Ed Watz
Associate

Postby Ed Watz » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:25 pm

About 30 years ago I saw the cutting continuity for the "silent version" of FREE AND EASY, also the continuity for the "international version." They are both based on the American talkie version without containing any new "silent" footage.

The only difference between the silent and international versions is that the latter had sound - an accompanying music track in place of dialogue but with the musical numbers, sung in English, included. This international sound version was released in France and Germany, possibly elsewhere as well.

Needless to say, in its silent form this talky early talkie has an abundance of titles. It was booed off the screen at its premiere in Paris.

If anyone from the old Blackhawk collecting days recalls their silent versions of certain titles like W.C. Fields' THE BARBER SHOP, one can imagine how brutal a mute FREE AND EASY must've been to sit through.
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)