Kevin Brownlow's Napoleon

So you want to discuss silent drama, science fiction, horror, noir, mystery and other NON-COMEDY films? Look no further, this is the place.
DaveGlass

Kevin Brownlow's Napoleon

Postby DaveGlass » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:23 am

I was privileged to be a witness at a very special event at the weekend. (18th and 19th June 2016).
As I've previously mentioned, Kevin Brownlow hosted a weekend of silent film at the Cinema Museum in London.
(prog details here: http://www.kenningtonbioscope.com/programme/4588841825 )
There were many delights, but the one that will stay in my memory forever is when Kevin spoke about 'Napoleon'.
The Cinema Museum is housed in a Lambeth workhouse building where Charlie Chaplin spent his early years.
That in itself, provides a perfect setting for the presentations of silent movies and their stories. The atmosphere is truly amazing.
Well, this particular presentation began simply with David Robinson (Chaplin biographer) reminiscing about the time he was taken by his friend Liam O'Leary (who was in charge of the Irish Film Archive at the time), to a friend's house in London. They were taken by the friend upstairs to his son's bedroom, which resembled a small cinema. A young 16 year old boy then treated them to a viewing of a 9.5mm film he'd found, which he thought they'd like to see. The boy was Kevin and the film was Napoleon.
Kevin then told the incredible story of discovery that then unfolded. We all know a few details of this film's reconstruction but to hear Kevin himself explain the ups and downs of the journey was an illuminating and hypnotic experience. What made it even more special was the screening of Kevin's 9.5mm 2 reel version of 'Napoleon' as seen by the young David Robinson many years ago.
Of the many delights this weekend provided, this was the unforgettable jewel in the crown.
Thanks to Kevin and everyone involved.
Dave

John Sweeney

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Kevin Brownlow's Napoleon

Postby Richard M Roberts » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:21 pm

DaveGlass wrote:I was privileged to be a witness at a very special event at the weekend. (18th and 19th June 2016).
As I've previously mentioned, Kevin Brownlow hosted a weekend of silent film at the Cinema Museum in London.
(prog details here: http://www.kenningtonbioscope.com/programme/4588841825 )
There were many delights, but the one that will stay in my memory forever is when Kevin spoke about 'Napoleon'.
The Cinema Museum is housed in a Lambeth workhouse building where Charlie Chaplin spent his early years.
That in itself, provides a perfect setting for the presentations of silent movies and their stories. The atmosphere is truly amazing.
Well, this particular presentation began simply with David Robinson (Chaplin biographer) reminiscing about the time he was taken by his friend Liam O'Leary (who was in charge of the Irish Film Archive at the time), to a friend's house in London. They were taken by the friend upstairs to his son's bedroom, which resembled a small cinema. A young 16 year old boy then treated them to a viewing of a 9.5mm film he'd found, which he thought they'd like to see. The boy was Kevin and the film was Napoleon.
Kevin then told the incredible story of discovery that then unfolded. We all know a few details of this film's reconstruction but to hear Kevin himself explain the ups and downs of the journey was an illuminating and hypnotic experience. What made it even more special was the screening of Kevin's 9.5mm 2 reel version of 'Napoleon' as seen by the young David Robinson many years ago.
Of the many delights this weekend provided, this was the unforgettable jewel in the crown.
Thanks to Kevin and everyone involved.
Dave

The two-reeler is the best version.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: Kevin Brownlow's Napoleon

Postby Gary Johnson » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:40 pm

I could see that one coming....