MY DREAM OF THE BIG PARADE (1926) Peerless Quartet

So you want to discuss silent drama, science fiction, horror, noir, mystery and other NON-COMEDY films? Look no further, this is the place.
Richard M Roberts
Godfather

MY DREAM OF THE BIG PARADE (1926) Peerless Quartet

Postby Richard M Roberts » Mon May 30, 2016 3:54 am

This is for Memorial Day, an amazing recording of a song inspired by the 1925 MGM film THE BIG PARADE, recorded for Victor, June 30, 1926, written by Jack Mills and performed by the Peerless Quartet, with Henry Burr doing the tenor solo and Billy Murray doing the recitation.

It is fitting that the Peerless Quartet recorded this, one of their last records and few electrically recorded ones, as they had recorded so many of the big World War One hit songs at the time, they went out with one that seemed to sum up much of the returning veteran's feelings regarding what they had been through in that war. As we remember today the passing of those we knew who gave their lives to defend this country, this song remains a fitting tribute to those who were lost in one of the most senseless wars, yet perhaps most important in the way it reshaped the entire World and the Twentieth Century:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PloEiN1Zpec

Happy Memorial Day.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Gary Johnson
Cugine

Re: MY DREAM OF THE BIG PARADE (1926) Peerless Quartet

Postby Gary Johnson » Mon May 30, 2016 12:06 pm

I was just reading of the 100 year anniversary of the Battle of Verdun taking place in Europe. Verdun lays in the renowned Western Front region. That battle raged for practically the entire year in 1916. To make matters worse, the Somme Offensive began in the summer of that year and waged on through the end of the year. The casualties were horrendous on all sides -- British, French and the Germans. Everyone suffered. That seems to be overriding consensus in remembrance. The Battle of Somme would witness one million casualties.

A Big Parade indeed.

William Ferry
Cugine

Re: MY DREAM OF THE BIG PARADE (1926) Peerless Quartet

Postby William Ferry » Tue May 31, 2016 7:47 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this...I first heard it many years ago (over 40, as I recall), on Joe Franklin's Saturday night radio show on WOR.