Silent film insights from Boris Badenov

The name says it all. Exclusive SCM downloadable content here.
Ed Watz
Associate

Silent film insights from Boris Badenov

Postby Ed Watz » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:12 am

From the comic book ROCKY AND HIS FIENDISH FRIENDS IN HOLLYWOOD, December 1962.

Say what you may about FRACTURED FLICKERS, Jay Ward and Bill Scott did love the old movies.

BorisB.jpg
BorisB.jpg (207.27 KiB) Viewed 15187 times
"Of course he smiled -- just like you and me." -- Harold Goodwin, on Buster Keaton (1976)

Richard M Roberts
Godfather

Re: Silent film insights from Boris Badenov

Postby Richard M Roberts » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:14 am

Cinnamonscope and Smelloscope would probably work together, but if you had bad breath, you could use Scope-o-scope.

I never had a problem with FRACTURED FLICKERS, it was what it was, and what it was was frequently funny. I loved their takeoff on THE GREAT GABBO.

Jay Ward's cartoons had a lot of silent movie references in them, one of the many reasons I did and do love them, as I did a lot of 1960's TV cartoons. Not a Jay Ward reference, but I recently suggested to a friend thinking of starting a jazz band to call the group "Noodles Romanoff and his Band of No-Goods".

RICHARD M ROBERTS

William Ferry
Cugine

Re: Silent film insights from Boris Badenov

Postby William Ferry » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:14 pm

Some of my favorite Bullwinkle film references:
A Dudley Do-Right episode in which each character was portrayed by some variation of Sid Gould (Sid, Sid Jr, Sid's Mother-in-Law). I wonder if they were deliberately referencing Sid Gould, who worked countless times on Lucille Ball's tv shows? I think he was also the bartender in ADVISE AND CONSENT.

Again, in another Dudley Do-Right episode, a character was played by Billy and Bobby Mauch.

Lastly, A Fractured Fairy Tale: someone keeps referring to committing hara-kiri, pronouncing it as "Harry Carey". Whenever someone can't remember the term, they substitute "Hoot Gibson".